Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin (aka Disconsin)

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone B-Rad's Avatar

Lightbulb Wisconsin (aka Disconsin)

What can I say? I grew up in the Chippewa Valley in Eau Claire. It's the land where the lakes are made of beer, the cows fart cheese curds and everyone and their brother own firearms. There are many great bands that came outta this very drunk land of farms and forests.

The first punk/hardcore bands (outside of Napalm Death tapes my cousin gave me) I became accustomed to bands from Chippewa Falls and Menominee.

Legion of Doom's A Planet On Its Knees 7", from Medford WI, was the first record I ever bought. I picked it up after seeing them on a flier from a show I missed due to being a Track runner at the time. The second band I got into was Asinine Solution. Their third EP, Cause Effect I bought at the same time as LOD. Another record I picked up was Defacto Oppression's 7", We're Digging Our Own Graves..., but their CD, Screen Symphony Suicide, is their best work.

There are a shit ton more but I wanted to rant about the bands that helped rope me into punk in the first place.
    Last edited by B-Rad; 11-14-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Non-Medicated ADHD

Had a blast when I've passed through Madison in the past. The Discider crew were great, especially talking shit with ol Tim. Definitely seemed like a city I wouldn't mind living in.

Hot Topic Punk Padawan
    Defacto Oppression is such a good band. I got their cd from Crimes Against Humanity several years ago, and bought it solely on the description. Was not let down from it.. I had a recent re-interest in them this past week, and still think they're a great band. Did they do anything after Screen Symphony Suicide?

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone B-Rad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
    Had a blast when I've passed through Madison in the past. The Discider crew were great, especially talking shit with ol Tim. Definitely seemed like a city I wouldn't mind living in.
    I loved Discider. Their first EP was great. Their Tour CD was pretty fun also.

Quote Originally Posted by deadbirdroad View Post
    Did they do anything after Screen Symphony Suicide?
    Naw. They broke up. The was talk of them starting up again couple years back but that dissolved pretty quickly. Mike O (Asinine and Defacto) and Mike Z (Asinine and The Scuzz) played with Nick Bomb (U.S.V.) in Weaving the Deathbag and put out four EPs and a Discoraphy CD. Mike O now plays in Lost Issues.
    Last edited by B-Rad; 11-14-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Non-Medicated ADHD

Hot Topic Punk Padawan
    Yeah, Wisconsin... I'll probably never leave this state and I don't really care. Everyone always moves to either Madison, Chicago, or Minneapolis. I'm okay in bumpkin land

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    when i was younger the highlight of the year would be when URBN DK and Bitchslap would come up to spiders and we would get to chill/play a few shows with them.
    later, we drove up to old barn fest with Despite and played a few shows.
    AWSOME times indeed!
    can't wait to go back in may for hellfest!

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone wörplay's Avatar
    no one's mentioned U.S.V., those guys were fucking great!

Menominee use to have killer shows! i use to love playing there. can't remember the name of the basement though ...
    Dotty, you dont wanna get mixed up with a guy like me...im a loner, Dotty....A rebel.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk haloofflies's Avatar
    Wisconsin rules.

my first shows featuring actual local bands involved CLEVELAND BOUND DEATH SENTENCE, DEMISE, TRADEMARK, SPEED FREAKS, LSD, VEGETABLE SPIT (medford), INSPECTOR 12 (madison), NO JOKE (portage), BIRTH DFX (kenosha) and later so many more.
    aside from DIE KREUZEN, Wisconsin hasnt seen much in the way of positive attention.
    yet for such small scenes, we have had and still have a crapload of bands, zines, and labels.

I love that Defacto cd. Especially the lyrical stuff, it's a shame that the singer didn't go on to another project.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    yeah, as exstinksean said, those were good times going to barn fest and kenosha. i also got to spend about 6 months there (along with my friend john) in 2005 playing in hulluus with bob and marvin. many good memories, places and people there. i wish i could have stayed longer.