Thread: Really Really Free Market anyone?

Internet Nerd Punk Punk

Really Really Free Market anyone?

Hey, not sure what y'alls experiences have been with the Really Really Free Market (RRFM) in your area, but I was inspired by the incredible RRFM in Carboro NC about 4 years ago and decided to start doing one in Wilmington NC. If you don't know what the hell a RRFM is then check it- http://www.reallyreallyfree.org/

I wasn't even living in Wilmington at the time but this town has a great proportion of rad people for being such a small place and virtually zero activism so I figured it would be a good start. In retrospect I think it was, 4 years later, RRFM is one of our staple hang-out events of the month. I think our first one 4 years ago was one of the best. Somehow everything came together, a band appeared out of nowhere and started playing, there we're mad people giving away/getting stuff, fixing bikes ect. I think people thought it was cool that we were importing this new concept from Greensboro/Chapel Hill/Carboro.

Unfortunately I think we got a little cocky our first year because we had all this support from the lib. yups. but soon we found that thier support was limited and once they got rid of some stuff and realized they didn't have a real need for anything, they stopped coming out. We also experience a year of poor-planning/involvement, lack of a real space in town that was neutral, centrally located and HAD SOME SHADE! It wasn't until the fabled Chris Currituck/Maria came into town that shit really got back on the right track. Don't know if anyone on here knows them and singlewide/mutiny distro, but those two brought back Wilmington's activism majorly.

So for the past two years, thanks to those two, we have a space to do the RRFM (at a large community garden on an abandoned lot in the middle of town by a major road), we now have restarted FNB and distribute crazy amounts of food at the RRFM, and finally have a trajectory making this shit real!

And it rules to cause we don't have any PC motherfuckers running the show, just a bunch of punks hiding beer cans, laughing and getting down while we do this shit. Ask me any questions you have about the RRFM I'd be glad to try to help.

Yeah! Minneapolis has one. Great stuff.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    So yeah, ours has been dropping off. Last weekend two out of three of us who organize it actually forgot about it and shit. We're all urban farmers so it's been really busy but it's also because there hasn't been much life at the markets lately. However we've all just come to agree we need to really make the next free market awesome, because it takes so little work to keep things going there's no reason why this should stop, we just have to model it accordingly for a small, southern town. Shit can't run like San Fran here. So anyways I'm just kinda talking to myself but I wanted to ask any of y'all out there- do you go to your local really really free market? Why or why not? What are some good ideas for making it exciting? Music has always worked but I was hoping for some different ideas. I don't know. If anyone wants to ask me about starting one I highly suggest doing so cause it's really helped create comradery with all the punks in town working on a project like this.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone B-Rad's Avatar
    We've got one here in Duluth and it is raging. Found some old photo equipment. Really Really Free Market, aka bring shit you don't want and take some one else's shit home with you, Free swat meets are awesome.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Extinction's Avatar
    I'd like to go to one of these. I got some stuff I really don't need anymore.
    Tens of dollars!

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone B-Rad's Avatar
    The next one in Duluth has not been posted yet and is in the mist of changing coordinators due to near burn out but I'll post it here when it materializes.